Films by Arab directors
Welcome to mec film!
mec film is an international distribution and sales company for films by Arab directors.
- The films in the International Catalogue vary in length and genre and can be booked by cinemas, festivals, cultural and educational institutions or social centres. The films all have English subtitles, sometimes we can provide translation in additional languages.
- mec film is serving as agent to the films of renown Syrian film-maker Mohamad Malas. Together with Dunia Film in Damascus we make copies available or connect you to the distributor for your territory.
- The movies in the German Catalogue are distributed in cinemas in Germany and are subtitled in German, they are all feature length.
- Many titles from the catalogue can be watched online at our partners MMedia in Beirut or at the mec film channel at realeyz in Berlin. A selection of documentaries is available for online viewing in the mec film collection at minaa in Amman. Those who prefer to hold a DVD in their hand find most of the titles from this catalogue as well as selected additional films from the Arab World in our DVD-shop.
In this catalogue you find short and feature length films with English subtitles, sometimes we can provide additional languages. Most films are available in digital formats. more
BIRDS OF SEPTEMBER
Sarah Francis' extraordinary city portrait of Beirut is showing in the framework of the fundraising campaign Beirut Over and Over on 15.9.2020 at Kino Endstation in Bochum (Germany) and on 9.9.2020 in Osnabrück (Germany). Moreover it is showing tín the same campaign in Montreal (Canada) and on 9.+10.10.2020 in a solidarity program of the Woemn's Film Festival Cairo (Egypt).
Beirut Over and Over is equally distributing the monies to:
- Egna Legna Besidet እኛ ለኛ በስደት: Fundraising for food and medicine for domestic workers affected by the explosion. Community-based feminist organisation working in Lebanon and Ethiopia and led by a former domestic worker.
- Sawa for Development and Aid: Lebanese organisation that works with Syrian refugees in Lebanon.
- Disaster Relief for the transgender community
- Funding campaign for LGBTQ victims of the Beirut Explosion
- Matbakh El Balad: Group of volunteer activists running food distribution.
- Basmeh and Zeitooneh for Relief and Development: A foundation that supports the most marginalized communities in the Middle East.
- Lebanon Solidarity Fund by the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture (AFAC) and Cultural Resource (Al Mawred al Thaquafi): An international fundraising campaign to support the culture and the arts community within Beirut under the Lebanon Solidarity Fund. The raised funds will be fully channelled to support affected arts and culture organizations and spaces based on the identification of urgent needs. The fund will also support individual artists who lost their homes, instruments and equipment.
by Larissa Sansour and Soren Lind shows in September online at Guanajuato International Film Festival (Mexiko) as well as at the Toronto Palestine Film Festival (Canada), at the DC Palestine Film and Art Festival (USA) and the Chicago Palestine Film Festival (USA).
by Ramzi Maqdisi shows in the beginning of September at the online edition of the Journey's Festival in Leiceter (UK).
IN THE FUTURE THEY ATE FROM THE FINEST PORCELAIN
by Larissa Sansour and Soren Lind is presented at the end of September at the Riga Photography biennial in Latvia.
A SPACE EXODUS
by Larissa Sansour is part of the short film program of Safar, the Arab Film Festival in London (UK).
mec film is serving as agent to the films of renown Syrian film-maker Mohamad Malas. Together with Dunia Film in Damascus we make copies available or connect you to the distributor for your territory. more
THE DREAM (al-Manam)
In 1991 Mohamad Malas published his diary about the shooting of “The Dream” including those dreams which were not included into the documentary under the title al-Manam. Mufakirat Filim at Dar al-Adab in Beirut. In 2016 the English translation, The Dream. A Diary of the Film, was released by the American University in Cairo Press. The DVD is availabe at mecfilm-shop.com.
THE NIGHT (al-Leil)
by Mohamad Malas is showing in April at the Regard Sud Festival in the Institut Lumière in Lyon (France).
The Cinema of Muhammad Malas. Visions of a Syrian Auteur
A monogragraph about Mohamad Malas' work is forthcoming at palgrave macmillan. Authors Samirah Alkassim and Nezar Andary's book provides an in-depth and intimate study of the cinema of Muhammad Malas. read more
The films in the German Catalogue are licensed for German theatrical and institutional release and have German subtitles. The movies are shown in the regular art-house more